5.29.2011

open book project.

I happened to come across a nifty little project set up by the Reach foundation (http://www.reach.org.au/) the other day.

The Open Book Project.

Aiming to show the teenagers of today that they are not alone, the project invites famous and not so famous faces (like you and me) to dig out and dust off those old diaries from days passed. There are entries from comedians Hamish & Andy, athletes such as Cathy Freeman, actress Sigrid Thorton and TV presenters like Jules Lund, Chrissie Swan and Jason Dundas. Not only are the celeb entries interesting (and good for a little sticky-beak if I'm being honest) the not so famous faces provide some honest and completely heartfelt reading. Whether it was a young girl telling about how she feels not fitting in or a teenage boy telling of the day he lost his mum and how much he misses her, the Open Book Project is a lifeline to youth out there who think that they are alone in their struggles.

After reading some truly inspiring entries, I felt compelled to dig deep into the vault that is my eleven year old diary. Written in sparkly blue gel pen and beginning each entry with Hey Journal I was intrigued at what I would find. And believe you me, my eleven year old self did deliver.

"So lately A***** (note- I haven't not written this persons name so as to keep them anonymous, this is how it really appeared in my diary) has really been pissing me off because she always says wait for me, you're wrong, she sharpened my NEW pencils right down. But she is still my best friend.
I walked home with Hayden today. He is nice and cute.
I was supposed to clean the library today but had kinder dancing. Bit worried because I put the book in the wrong spot. Should I feel guilty? I kinda do. But I usually get punished for other people's crimes."




After re-reading my eleven year old self's inner thoughts and feelings I had to sigh and try not to wish myself back to the simple times of worrying about whether I put a library book back in the right spot. A child's innocence is one of the purest things to come across on this planet, and I'm glad I can hold on to a few pages of mine in the form of my diary.

Take a look at theopenbookproject.com. It's a worthy cause for Australian youth and truly inspiring stuff. While you're at it, see if you can dig up your old diary to have a read and maybe upload onto the site. You never know who your entry may reach out to.

2 comments:

  1. i'm truly happy that you blog about the things in pictures nobody realises or notices as much.
    the open book project is a great initiative, kudos to you for bringing it up (:

    rena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thankyou very much! I try my best :) There are sooo many amazing entries on the site, just thought everyone else would be as interested in it as I was :)

    ReplyDelete