1.23.2012

crossroads.


Sooner or later in all our lives, we reach a point where we face two alternative choices and a decision has to be made. We are at a crossroads. For most, decision-making comes as naturally as breathing but for woe, for me it does not. It's as if whoever designed my brain installed a faulty wire responsible for making decisions. Classic example, a few weeks I found myself and my better half at a beautiful restaurant in Darling Harbour for dinner, just about to order. As the perky waitress made her way over to our table, panic set in. My heart began to race and my eyes were a blur scanning the menu trying to decide what to order. My ever collected boy ordered an appetising chicken dish and me? Well, because I couldn't make a decision I ordered the first thing that caught my eye on the menu. Seafood risotto. Now, I love seafood just as much as I love risotto. But this seafood risotto? Not, the wisest decision I have ever made. Watching the waitress walk away with our order spelled out on her notebook was heart-wrenching and I felt the pangs of regret burn my chest. Watching my boyfriend enjoy a safe looking chicken dish whilst catching whiffs of fishy, gluggy rice coming from my own dish was also not savoury.

I now find myself at a different crossroads (albeit one more important than dinner choice). As I sit on my bed and type this, to my left of my are my uni enrollment forms and to the right my favourite magazine of choice. On Friday, I have an interview for a permanent intern position with said magazine and on Wednesday I have my uni orientation day. If I enroll in uni for a third and final year (to get the word advanced added to my diploma and a fancy piece of paper with the words Bachelor of Arts), the time table clashes with oh,  just about everything in my life. I've been at uni for the past two years of my life and those past two years were pretty smooth sailing. Everything fell into place minus the clashes. Consulting my very own pearl of wisdom that is my wonderful mother, she once again offered me the words, whatever will be will be. So if it ain't meant to happen sister, it won't.

Standing at my own crossroads, I know what decision I want to make. And from now on, whatever happens? Happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment