5.01.2012

intern is as an intern does.

 I consider myself an old hand at this intern business, I've really racked up some serious mileage on the internship front - and hopefully sooner rather than later it will all pay off and I'll be sitting pretty and doing what I love. Ha. I've interned at a number of places from fashion mags to newspapers and to be given a peek behind the pages is quite a privilege. That being said the perks really do come with a few nasties. Take one of my very first internships at a mag I loved reading. My second day into the intership and I was approached by one of the fashion editors and commanded to trek all over the city and find her some chocolate covered strawberries. Fresh, mind you. If you were wondering, no I was not offered a chocolate covered strawberry and yes, they did look delicious.  

Wanna be an intern? You better be able to type. And for a long time. I was shocked one instance when a fellow intern announced to the beauty editor she did not transcribe. Blasphemy! And you better be able to address envelopes and photocopy. Accept any task asked of you with a smile and observe, observe, observe.

As I said before internships are packed full of perks. Take the free stuff, the events and the experiences. Who would get to eat lunch with Miss Universe herself before playing fly-on-the-wall at one of her photoshoots? An intern, of course! (True story, she was gorgeous!)  

Materialism aside, the biggest perk of all is being in the thick of it and working alongside people who write what you love reading. Keep your mind open, stick it out and soak it all up.

Internships are a rite of passage - wanna be in this industry? Then, you gotta do the time. Fast forward a few years down the track and you might find yourself head honcho with a dozen intern minions at your disposal. Be nice, get your own chocolate covered strawberries!

1 comment: